Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Why I Live Blog

The husband was bored yesterday.

Which is why I do my live-blogging when he's otherwise occupied, such as on the guy's poker night.

"Whatcha doing?" he asked around 7.

"Revising," I said. "Go away."

He came back in an hour.

"Whatcha doing now?" he asked.

"Revising," I said. "Go away some more."

"That's not revising. That's blogging."

"I'm live-blogging my revisions."

"Looks like you're wasting time."

And I can see how he thinks that--I actually do spend a bit of time setting up the live-blog post, and going back to update it.

BUT.

I actually get more done in revisions when I live-blog this way.

It's because my greatest distraction when working on a manuscript--especially when working on a part of the manuscript that I despise, like revisions--is the internet. It's right there, on the same computer I'm working on. Perhaps because I'm of the Google Generation, or perhaps just because I have the attention span of a flea, I'm used to working with 5 or 10 tabs in Firefox open. I check my email, and in between emails refresh Twitter, and while I'm waiting for an @ reply on Twitter, I open up Google Reader and start checking on blogs I follow, and while I wait for comment boxes on the blogs I follow to open, I hop over to Etsy and browse the soap stores.

Likewise, unless I'm really focused on writing, I'll write a few pages, then skim over to iTunes, then click to my notes folder, and, eventually, I end up on the internet and before I know it, I've wasted a ton of time.

I started live-blogging on a whim, but I've really found it helpful because it reminds me that I shouldn't be on the internet (ironically enough) and that I should be accountable. Recording how much time I work and how much time I goof off reminds me not to goof off every time I write that time stamp in.

And it's fun! Your comments keep me going! :)

So, how do you avoid distractions and stay on track?

15 comments:

christine M said...

Avoid distractions? Stay on track? What is this you speak of?

Anna Staniszewski said...

Ha, your description of your internet distractions perfectly sums up what happens to me when I'm "writing." On days when I'm having no luck concentrating at all, I set an egg timer for thirty minutes and force myself to only focus on writing for that time. It's amazing how much I can get done in those 30 internet-free minutes!

Lizzy Mason said...

I like the egg timer idea, Anna! I'm such a bad influence on myself. Last night, I had a Sophie's Choice moment where I had to decide between watching an episode of Glee and writing for an hour. Guess which one I chose! Yeah, it was Glee. Maybe live blogging is the answer... :)

Unknown said...

Putting revision goals up in a live format on the internet helps keep you accountable so I thought it was a great idea -- and clearly, it worked for you as you had the magical word DONE next to each goal by the end of the night.

I was revising last night too - and finally told my hubby to go to bed without me as I was on a roll. I do better with a reward system rather than telling myself not to do something. So after each chapter of revisions, I allowed myself a brief respite to check emails, FB, and blogs (such as yours).

Also, I ate one piece of homemade chocolate fudge at the end of each chapter. Not the best idea as I have too many chapters - there's no way I'll fit into my clothes if I keep that system in place!

Stephanie said...

I try very hard to do all my email and stuff first and limit it to an hour. TheI start working. Usually I lose myself in my work and coem up for air every half hour-45 minutes or so. I take a break and check email, Fb, Twitter...but by that point not much new has happened so it takes maybe 5 minutes. Then it's back to work.

Anonymous said...

Great idea, good lady! Using a liveblog to hold oneself accountable is a stroke of genius.

I'll have to see whether that'd work for me...

Happy New Year!

Sally said...

OK- I'm old- it's official.. what does "live-blog" mean????

So hard to avoid distractions- but the blogs I have been visiting lately are also a great source of inspiration, education, and just plain fun.... so, maybe it's therapeutic blogging?

TerryLynnJohnson said...

You have a knack for describing what everyone can relate to. And I laughed so hard at your convo with your hubby. My man also comes to bug me when he's bored.

Elana Johnson said...

I'm so with you on the multiple tabs open on Firefox. Except I use Google Chrome. I know I'm in for a round of edits when my tabs dwindle to gmail and pandora. That's when I sigh and get to work.

Tabitha said...

I have learned to avoid distractions by harnessing my formidable stubborness...which was the bane of my existence until I read A Wrinkle in Time, and saw Meg use her stubborness in positive ways.

Ever since then, I have been able to set realistic goals and stubbornly stick to them. Including a goal to avoid distractions. :)

C.R. Evers said...

You're my kind of gal. I give credit to an active mind. An active mind must find many paths in order to give her finished product a well-rounded persepctive. You go girl! :0)

lotusgirl said...

I work best with nothing to distract me but music. If I'm online, I can't get rolling on anything. If someone wants me when I'm writing they either have to call on the phone or yank off the headphones or something. With editing it's even worse. I can only listen to certain kinds of music when I'm editing.

Sherrie Petersen said...

Ha! I resemble this post! I currently have open three windows with at least five tabs each :)

The best way for me to avoid distraction would be to take my computer someplace with no internet connection where I don't know anyone.

But I haven't found it yet.

Katharina Gerlach said...

I have an Alpha Smart. No Internet, no distractions. Unfortunately that only works for first drafts. For revisions, I unplug the Internet and only allow myself 1 hour shortly before lunch. That seems to work best for me.

Christina Farley said...

Ha! Funny.

I just eat chocolate. And then some more.